April 20, 2009

When your Muse is out of town…

I’m pretty sure my Muse is out of town, or pouting, or sleeping really late every day. When she is around, she doesn’t stay long, sometimes leaves me before I’ve said what I wanted to say. Maybe I bore her. And, of course, she must be busy with so many bloggers out there.

Sometimes the words trip over themselves going from my mind through my fingers onto the page. Sometimes, they’re reluctant to show themselves, as if they’ve settled down into a comfy place and don’t want to leave. But what happens most often is that there are so many words and thoughts that are jockeying for place (take me! take me!), and they get separated from what connects them to other words. It must be the Muse’s job to herd the words so they can emerge as more or less meaningful phrases, sentences, and paragraphs.

Please, Ms. Muse, come back, stop pouting, or get up! I miss you.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment