June 23, 2009

Guilt and Yearning

Once again, a blog from son Brian and back-and-forth responses to same has triggered thoughts of my own on a couple of words he used together in one of the emails: Guilt and Yearning.

It’s a pretty sad thing to realize, especially to publicly admit, that much of my inner life has been fueled by and evinced by guilt and yearning.

I find myself meditating on the relationship between the two, if indeed there is a link. I’m going to ramble here as the thoughts try to find a place to light. How does a child learn to feel guilt? When does a child begin to feel yearning, if ever they do? We know about guilt in a legalistic way, but that’s a whole different topic. Everyday guilt is, according to The American Heritage Dictionary Third Edition, “Remorseful awareness of having done something wrong” and “Self-reproach for supposed inadequacy or wrongdoing”. Remorseful awareness is when we realize we have a conscience. The awareness of wrongdoing is important to live in a ‘civilized’ world. We stop at the stoplight. Most people are not criminals, yet some of those may not be criminals only because they don’t want to get caught.

But wrongdoing encompasses a wide range of actions. Barking at a store clerk when I’m tired and frustrated can induce guilt. Not calling someone when I promised. Talking behind someone’s back about him/her. The examples are numerous, and I believe that most of us know where we’ve missed the mark enough to feel some degree of guilt.

It’s the “self-reproach for supposed inadequacy…” that is my bĂȘte noire. It’s so easy for me to feel guilt about things I have no control over, or feel so totally inadequate that it’s no wonder something went wrong. I deal with this at some level virtually every day.

These feelings are usually accompanied by yearning. Yearning to be better, smarter, quicker, faster. Yearning to have someone in my life with whom to share the burden of guilt. Yearning for unconditional love. I’m not sure that guilt leads to yearning, or that yearning leads to guilt. But I know they are linked for me; when I feel capable and strong and good about myself, I don’t yearn for anything, because I know I have all that I need.

Brian’s father told me when I was very young (I was nothing but very young when he and I were together) that I was ‘other directed’. It sounded like a bad thing, being ‘other directed’. He said the alternative was ‘inner directed’, and it didn’t take me long to understand the difference between the two. I know many people who are ‘inner directed’ and they are confident, do not appear to be in thrall to guilt and yearning, and are unacquainted with the grief of self-doubt and regular mea culpas.

When someone says to me, “don’t take it personally", I understand what they mean, but to an ‘other directed’ person, it’s all personal. Inner strength is not an endless commodity for us ‘other directeds’; sometimes we fight our own demons for it, we pray for it. And we look to others for it.
David Reisman, a sociologist, wrote in his 1950 book The Lonely Crowd, "The other-directed person wants to be loved rather than esteemed", not necessarily to control others but to relate to them. Those who are other-directed need assurance that they are emotionally in tune with others.

This is difficult to write, but it’s important that I have some idea of my own psychology and behaviors. If I understand who I am, I can then begin to tackle the goals of the famous Serenity prayer: “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. So should I feel guilty now for my partial role as a catalyst to the creation of this post? (Just kidding!) I really enjoyed reading this - especially the stuff about the "other-directed person."

    ReplyDelete